The Orange Conference is just a few days away. I LOVE this conference. In fact I am a total conference JUNKIE. I have been to a bunch of them. With this experience I have learned a few things that have helped me get the most out of these experiences. Here are a few key thoughts to help you get the most of it as well.
- One For the Road: You will be totally overloaded with great information. You will walk away with more stuff that you can process right away. Take great notes, but also look for just one thing that you can implement almost immediately that will have a near instant impact on your ministry. Find this one thing then make it happen as soon as you can.
- The Beautiful People: The information you get as such conference will be great. However, perhaps more valuable than that is the people you will meet. Take time to meet new people. Exchange contact information. Follow-up with these people as soon as possible after the conference and work to try to make these connections meaningful and long lasting.
- I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing: If your like me, then you don’t want to miss a single thing. I struggle to miss even a single session. However, at my first Orange Conference in 2012 one of the best things I did was skip a session to sit with Amy Dolan and chat. Amy an I are now friend and correspond regularly. I couldn’t’ even tell you what session I skipped, but I can tell you that the time with Amy was worth it. Don’t be afraid to skip a session or two in order to spend time with people.
- King of Pops: Ok, this one it probably specific to Orange, but for the past 2 years there has been a vendor at the Orange Conference called the King of Pops. They make gourmet, custom popsicles. Trust me, you want one.
- Give it away now: If you have business cards with your information on them take plenty and give them out generously. If you don’t have some, trust me it is worth the time to print some. Even if it is just slips of paper with your contact information and name that you can hand to people as you meet them. It will make your life much easier.
Have Fun: Maybe I’m the only one, but I can get so caught up in information gathering and trying to process how to apply it all to my life and my ministry, that I can forget that I am also there to have FUN. There is a lot of fun stuff at these types of events. Be sure to have some fun along the way.
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Ok, here is the most important bit of advice I can give you. Come and see me. There it is. I love to meet people in person. So, if you get a chance track me down and say hello. You can follow me on Twitter @mnormancarguy. I will be all over Twitter during the conference.
Thanks for reading this post. I hope you enjoyed it. To ensure that you never miss a post subscribe using the space on the right side of the screen.